As of Tuesday night South African retailers may sell a bigger range of clothes, and bedding, at Alert Level 4 – but only specific items that appear on a list.
The list includes electric blankets and short-sleeved t-shirts – as long as they are intended to be used to keep you warm. Patel also on Tuesday night published rules allowing car sales and servicing to restart, in a limited fashion.
“The new rules apply immediately and are specific to Level 4″, said trade, industry and competition minister Ebrahim Patel in the Government Gazette. Below is the entire list of clothing and bedding you can now buy again in South Africa.
The regulations allow the sale of “all baby and toddler clothing and footwear” and, similarly, “all children’s wear”. But while baby and toddler clothing carry no further explanation, children’s clothing is listed as specifically including:
- schoolwear and school shoes
- That list also includes “related accessories” without further elaboration.
Underwear, sleep clothes, and maternity clothing of every kind.
There are no restrictions for three categories of adult clothing: “all maternity wear”, “all adult sleepwear and gowns”, and “all adult underwear”. The regulations do not mention whether such clothing must serve any specific purpose, decorative or otherwise, and is silent on whether it needs to be warm.
Specific types of adult shoes. Not all shoes are allowed. Items that may be sold are:
- closed-toe heels
- closed-toe flat shoes
- sneakers and trainers
- smart closed-toe shoes
- casual closed-toe shoes
Similar to shoes, there is no broad category for adult clothing. Instead, only these types of clothing may be sold:
- activewear “including gym, running and other exercise apparel”
- jackets and coats
- long-sleeved tops
- long-sleeved t-shirts
- denim jeans and denim jackets
- pants (with no mention whether long or short)
- skirts (with no mention of length or thickness)
- short-sleeved knit tops – “where promoted and displayed as worn under cardigans and knitwear”
- short-sleeved t-shirts – “where promoted and displayed as undergarments for warmth”
- “crop bottoms are worn with boots and leggings”
- shirts, both long-sleeved and short-sleeved – “were displayed and promoted to be worn under jackets coats and/or knitwear”
- golf shirts
- “one-pieces such as bodysuits”
Adult gloves, belts, and hair accessories. Allowed accessories are:
- shawls and scarves
- gym and exercise apparel accessories
- hair accessories – with no limitations or further specification.
You may also buy these specific items of bedding. Allowed bedding items are:
- baby bedding and blankets
- duvets and “duvet inners”
- blankets, comforters, and quilts
- mattress protectors
- sheets and pillowcases
- Electric blankets are also included under the bedding category.
By: Bradley Brizzy
#Covid19 #Lockdown #Level4